Summer is around the corner and time has come to buckle up and face the summer heat like a pro. Like every other person, most of us look forward to preventing ourselves from getting a tan. Tans can really be a pain to get off. Despite the swimming pool or the beach rejuvenating you, the tan that follows will most probably prevent you from having any more fun. That is literally why all of us look forward to getting ourselves a sunscreen. It is undeniable that one accessory that every girl carries throughout, during the summers. Get yourself one of these sunscreens then.
Sunscreens are usually made up of a range of chemicals. They work the best to block the sun’s rays and to keep your skin protected, healthy, and youthful throughout the year. It is not just about the summers but the sunscreen is ideally required throughout the year.
Sun rays travel across the earth through a combination of visible and invisible rays, which nowadays are often cumulatively known as ultraviolet (UV) rays. UV rays are electromagnetic radiation. They also contain ionizing radiation which can damage the DNA cells. It can in-turn even lead to cancer. The UV spectrum is made up of two components: UVA rays and UVB rays. Around 95% of the UV rays which are released from the sun that reach the ground are UVA rays, while the remaining 5% are UVB rays. When your skin is exposed to sunlight, the UV rays hit your skin cells.
These rays degenerate the body processes which look after the appearance and the growth rate of your skin cells. Basking in the sun might expose one to UV radiation which can cause a range of physical ailments. Sunburns might be a short-term consequence which are pretty much painful to the touch. But, in the long-term, they might mean wrinkles and skin damage and in the worst-case scenarios, life-threatening skin cancer. Get yourself a sunscreen and avoid any of these ailments.
Sunscreens are made up of a range of chemicals. There are two types of sunscreens: the physical sunscreen and the chemical sunscreen. The physical sunscreen comprises inorganic chemicals and chemical sunscreen contains organic chemicals. Inorganic chemicals include zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, Inorganic chemicals reflect out or scatter the light away from the skin. Organic chemicals include avobenzone or oxybenzone. They help absorb UV rays so that our skin doesn’t. This absorbing of UV rays takes place through the chemical bonds present in the organic chemicals. As the absorption of UV rays takes place, the particles of the sunscreen get released slowly.
The inorganic components of the physical sunscreen are made up of mineral contents which is why it is also known as a physical sunscreen. This inorganic part consist of UV filters which ideally reflect, scanter and block the sun’s rays. This prevents the rays from penetrating the skin itself. These mineral particles are present on the skin and do not seep into the skin in an ideal situation.
The carbon compounds of the organic matter belonging to the chemical sunscreen, on the other hand, absorb the UV rays and radiation. They generate some heat to break down the components of the sunscreen. This is a major reason why one can feel some heat when they apply the sunscreen. Parts of the organic matte absorb the UVB rays which are known to be a major reason for causing sunburns and the risk of skin cancer. Other parts of the organic matter absorb the UVA rays. The UVA rays are known for their ability to penetrate through deeper layers of the skin contracting the immune response to DNA damage also contributing to skin cancer.
The physical sunscreen ideally provides broader spectrum protection and is less likely to cause irritation because it doesn’t absorb any heat. They are also known to prevent the clogging of pores. While on the other hand chemical sunscreen is light on the screen and tends to be thinner on the screen. Since it is applied to the skin, it leaves less residue. Physical sunscreens are known to wash out easily while chemical sunscreens on the other hand despite taking around 20 minutes to work usually last longer.
Since we have more or less covered the major parts of the sunscreen, it is high time for us to get one for ourselves. Sunscreens are a must need throughout the year but more during the summer because of an increase in exposure to sunlight. Get yourself a sunscreen right away.