1.5million videos of the shooting rampage at two mosques in Christchurch was removed within 24 hours by Facebook. The videos were a massive game of whack-a-mole social media giants, which played with even the most high-profile problematic content on their platforms.
Spokeswoman of Facebook (New Zealand) said, “work around the clock to remove violating content from our site, using a combination of technology and people.” Out of the 1.5 million videos that were filmed by a body-worn camera on the perpetrator almost in the style of a video game, around the massacre, 1.2 million were blocked at upload.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern commented on a Sunday news conference saying, “further questions to be answered” by Facebook and other social media sites over their response to the events, it was then followed by Facebook’s statement.
New Zealand Prime Minister Ardern said that her country had done as much as it could to “remove or seek to have removed some of the footage” circulated in the aftermath of the attack, but that ultimate it has been “up to those platforms.”
Soon after the deadly horror began on Friday morning in New Zealand, alleged shooter Brentan Tarrant’s Facebook followers were the first to know. The shooter live-streamed his assault, from the time he started driving over to Al Noor Mosque to the moments when he fired his first shots.
Many hours later, and long after he and other suspects had been arrested, others were still uploading the video to YouTube and other online video platforms.
Facebook says that it is using audio technology to detect more version of the video, allowing it to catch more footage even if there isn’t an exact match to the full version streamed by Tarrant.
New Zealand government on Sunday informed online platforms about the sharing part. They informed that any version of the footage, even the edited, non-graphic versions, is a violation of the law.
The restriction was not only limited to social media but was also applicable to all possible news media. Local media reported that Sky News Australia was pulled off New Zealand broadcaster Sky TV for airing “distressing footage.”